Saturday, January 29, 2011

Pigalle - French Red Light District Style in Boston

Groupon strikes again!  This time, we had a lovely evening at Pigalle in the theatre district.  I had planned this evening around having my mom and one her best friends, K, (as well as one of my second moms) come have dinner in town with Nick and I.

Pigalle is a french restaurant that is tucked away on Charles St. South in the theatre district.  I had passed it a number of times walking back and forth to the south end but really had never thought to go in.  However, when Pigalle popped up on groupon I figured it was totally worth trying out.

When you walk into Pigalle, it just has this really cozy feel.  There is a small bar in the front, then the restaurant is filled with dark leather booths and and a timber ceilings.  They have a nice cocktail list, but my mom kept it simple and ordered a cosmo.

The Cosmo
I got a French martini that was made with Grey Goose, cassis and pineapple juice.  The result is frothy yummyiness.  Nick got The Aviation, which had Hendricks Gin, lemon juice and Creme de violette.  Even though it was a very manly pink creation, it was still very good.

The Aviation and the French Martini
When it came to the food, Pigalle has a great three course deal for only $40.  Another great thing with the three course meal is that they will time it perfectly so that you will make it to the theatre on time.  So, my mom and K opted for the three course menu.  I was surprised to see that all of the plates that came out as a part of the three course meal were the same as if you ordered off the regular menu.

Both K and Nick got the Duet of Vegetable Terrines: Beet and Horseradish Cream and Eggplant and Goat Cheese with Brioche Toast.

The Terrines
What was a bit odd about this dish was the eggplant because it was jellied, which made the texture a bit off, unless you really like jellied dishes. 

My mom got the Simple Arugula Salad with Fried Goat Cheese that also came with thin roasted fingerling potatoes.

The salad
I tried the fried goat cheese and of course it was delicious.  The breading did not overpower the cheese at all. 

For main courses I ordered Pigalle’s Cassoulet of Confit Duck Leg, Braised Lamb Shank and House-Made Pork sausage.

The Cassoulet
The presentation of this dish was fun.  I loved the little cast iron dish, but it was the charger that was more "french."  The detailing on the outside was something you thought you might see in the french countryside.  The food itself was pretty good.  I loved the duck and the sausage.  However, I did not love the lamb, which is what I was most looking forward to.  Overall though, I was pleased with the dish.

Nick got the Pork Wienerschnitzel with Herbed Spaetzle, Braised Purple Cabbage and Caper-Lemon Sauce.

The Wienerschnitzel
This was fun because it is not something you generally see in any Boston restaurants.  Nick loved the dish.  The pork was really moist and the sauce was flavorful.

My mom ordered the Beef Bourguignon with Mushrooms, Pearl Onions and Bacon, which is one of those dishes that is perfect to order because it seems overwhelming to make at home. 

The Bourguignon
Again, this dish was presented in a bowl that you would find in the french countryside, just adding to the look and feel of the restaurant.  Also, placed in the middle of the dish is a bone filled with marrow, intended to add more flavor.  This dish was really hearty and delicious - perfect for the colder evenings we have been having lately.

K got the Crispy Half Duckling with Dried Cherry Glaze, Bacony Brussels Sprouts, Pearl Onions and Potato Purée. 

The Crispy Duckling
This was another delicious dish.  The potatoes were so smooth giving them the appearance of a polenta almost.  The cherry glaze was flavorful while not being overly sweet.

Since my mom and K ordered from the three course menu, Nick and I could not be left out and also ordered desserts.  Both my mom and K ordered the Banana Phyllo Roll with Green Tea Ice Cream, Kaffir Lime Anglaise and Candied Walnuts.

The Banana Phyllo Roll dessert
The rolls were nice and actually not too sweet, and the green tea provided a nice complement in flavor.  The presentation of the dessert was nice.  The green plate really helped set off the colors of the dessert itself.

I ordered the Classic Vanilla Bean Crème Brûlée, because next to chocolate desserts, this is my other go-to dish.

The Crème Brûlée
The crust on this dessert was fantastic, it was nice and thick.  You actually had to put in a little effort to reach the creamy center.  This Crème Brûlée was probably the best I have had in a long time.

Nick went against all his dessert norms when he found out they were out of the cheesecake and got the Fallen Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Sauce and Raspberry Coulis.

The Fallen Chocolate Cake
Again, this was served on another french county plate that I really liked.  Also, I loved the presentation of the components itself - it looked like it was ready for a photo.  This cake had a nice rich coco flavor rather than being overly chocolaty like some cakes can be.  The sauces were good, just too rich for a non chocolate lover.

Overall, I was totally satisfied with my meal when we left the restaurant, and I would highly recommend the three course meal.  I think it is actually an amazing deal.  Also, there is a wide variety of dishes available so even the pickiest person (like myself) would be able to find something they would like.  Ordering off the regular menu can get pricey quickly considering there is such a great alternative. 

Pigalle is a great go-to for people looking to make a show as well as indulging in a quality meal, especially since it is in the theatre district and you do not need to move the car afterward.  Also, it is the perfect place to grab a bit during these cold winter months because between the atmosphere and comfort food, you will leave feeling warm and cozy.

Pigalle on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...