Monday, January 31, 2011

No-Bake Fudgy Oat Cookies - Easy and Delicious

My mom got me "The Taste of Home: Cookies" recipe book for Christmas this year, so I was excited to try out one of the recipes I was eying  and to bring them to a dinner we were attending.  Even better, the recipe we chose was for drop cookies that required no baking!  So, I was hoping they would turn out well because they seemed like one of those good recipes to have on hand when you quickly need a dessert.  I was pleasantly surprised when they actually came out well and actually got compliments!

Yummy Cookies

The necessities...

2-1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
1 cup flaked coconut
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup butter
2 cups sugar
1/2 baking cocoa
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

The Ingredients
So really, this recipe is super easy.  First, I just mixed together the oats and coconut in a large bowl and set it aside.

Oats and Coconut
The next step, and actually the second to last step, was to mix together the butter and milk in a saucepan.  After the butter melted I added the cocoa and sugar to the saucepan.  There was no amount of time set to stir this before adding the oat and coconut mixture, but I would suggest a couple of minutes because the sugar needs a bit of time to dissolve fully.  Otherwise you can taste the sugar crystals in the cookies - a few of mine had this problem.  So, after making sure the sugar and cocoa were fully dissolved I stirred in the oats and coconut mixture and stirred (constantly) for another minute or so until fully blended.  Last but certainly not least, I removed the pan from the heat and stirred in the vanilla.

Cookie Mixture
Finally, the last step was merely dropping teaspoon size blobs of the mixture onto wax paper.  I used parchment paper because that's all we had on hand.
Setting - almost ready to eat
Then you are done!  Really, you just let these sit until the chocolate and everything sets.  I made these at about 9PM and let them sit out over night, so I am not to sure how little time you can wait.  The final product at the top looks much like this picture here.  The other thing is that the recipe did not say to put these in the fridge or anything, but I am sure this would be a way to speed up the "setting" process. 

Like I said above, these were yummy cookies, although I wish I had allowed the sugar to dissolve a bit more.  They had some of my favorite cookie components all in one bite - chocolate, coconut and oatmeal.  In my book, it does not get much better than that!  However, the rest of the crowd liked these cookies as well, so it wasn't just me - I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...