I have been reading a lot lately about people doing a "Meatless Monday" in an attempt to be healthier, and its supposed to be much better for the environment. I thought it would be a great way to get out of the chicken rut I sometimes find myself in. In general, I base a lot of my dinners around chicken as it is both cheap and easy. So, this post here starts my attempt at sticking with Meatless Mondays. However, as you will see, this first one is in no way helping me get healthier...but it was so worth it!
I stumbled upon this butternut squash and cheddar bread pudding recipe on YumSugar and thought this was reason enough to go for Meatless Monday! Also, this Monday happened to be one of the coldest days I can remember, so this comfort dish really was going to hit the spot.
- 2 pounds peeled seeded butternut squash, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 6 cups)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt plus additional for sprinkling
- 7 large eggs
- 2 1/4 cups half and half
- 6 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 day-old baguette (do not remove crust), torn into 1-inch pieces (about 10 cups)
- 1 cup chopped shallots (about 4 large)
- 2 bunches Tuscan kale (about 1 pound), ribs removed, kale coarsely chopped
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
|Finally ready to eat!|