Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Traditional Dinner at Legal Seafood at the Pru

After work one evening I met my mom at the Pru for dinner (she was in town on the great "Mother of the Bride Dress Hunt"), and on this particular night her choice of restaurant was Legal Seafoods.  Being from the area, Legal's is something that I have been having for quite a long time, though when I first started going there it was for special occasions since it was one of the nicer restaurants up on the North Shore.  It was one of those places you could count on for a good meal, but it has been awhile since I have been.

When I sat down at the booth across from my mother it was like being taken back in time: the menu was super familiar and she, of course, went with her go-to meal and I went to one of mine.  I always order the lobster bisque.  I know their clam chowder is world famous but I am not a fan.  This, on the other hand, is right up my alley.  The bisque is smooth and creamy with loads of lobster meat mixed it.  I have never had a lobster bisque better than this one, and it was still as good as I remember.

Lobster Bisque
While I was enjoying the bisque we also dove right into the warm rolls that are always crusty on the outside, and soft and fluffy on the inside.
Rolls
Legal's always has a Special of the Day where you can have fresh fish grilled, baked, etc., and my mother always seems to get the wood-fire grilled rainbow trout.  Every time it comes out it tastes delicious, no matter which Legal's we are dining at. 

Rainbow Trout
With her fish came two sides, from which there are plenty choose.  She got a side salad and a seaweed salad (a new thing she has discovered and likes).
Side Salads
Both of these were tasty and fresh.  The seaweed salad was a nice new twist to the menu.  Not knowing what to order, I went with the Wood Grilled Assortment, which leaves you in the chefs hand to choose the fish.  On this evening, I received salmon, tuna and swordfish - not a bad combination!  The three were then topped off with scollops, shrimp and two sides.   

Wood Grilled Assortment
The three main fish were good - the swordfish was by far the best, however all three were a bit over cooked and almost a bit oily considering they were cooked on a grill.  The shrimp were tasty, and the scollops were OK - a little greasy, but then again, I am not the biggest scollop fan.  For sides I had the onion strings, another go-to at Legal's did not disappoint.  The green beans were tasty and crisp, and not overdone.

This meal was good and like I remembered.  However, the company has grown so much, with the Legal Test Kitchen (LTK) and the new Liberty Wharf area, that it seems that a bit more should have been done to maintain the traditional Legal's restaurants.  However, for those out there like my mom who like getting some delicious, simply prepared fresh fish that you can count on, Legal's is always a good spot.


Legal Sea Foods - Copley Place on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. I recently had their clam chowder over at Legal Harborside and thought it was great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm usually a big fan of Legal as well, though we have experienced overcooked swordfish from time to time too. I love the new Legal Harborside location.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh I'm so hungry now! All of that fish looks so tasty :) And I was a bit weirded out to see Lega's offering seaweed salad, but surprisingly loved it!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...