Monday, May 21, 2012

Chickpea and Sweet Potato Curry

After the Maldivian Cooking Class, I was excited to put what I learned to good use and give a good curry dish a go.  Williams-Sonoma has great recipes (and needless to say I have been there quite a bit doing some registry close out!), and after a bit of searching I found this Chickpea and Sweet Potato Curry that more than fit the bill.

My First Curry Dish
Recipe Adapted from Williams-Sonoma



2 Tbs. olive oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 Tbs. chopped fresh ginger
2 Jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped
1 Tbs. curry powder
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 can (15 oz.) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 can (14 fl. oz.) coconut milk, well shaken
1 cup water
1/2 cup frozen edamame
1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes, drained


The Ingredients
First things first, since I had no idea how long it would take me (and previously with a squash it took forever) I peeled and chopped up the sweet potato and set it aside for later.

Chopped Sweet Potato
Next, I set to work on the garlic.  I saw this trick for preparing garlic on TV once and it works pretty well once you are OK slamming your hand onto your rather sharp knife.  I cut the ends off the clove and place it under the flat side of my knife (the wider, Santoku knives, work really well for this).  I hit the top of the knife with the heel of my hand and it squishes it rather nicely, allowing the peel to come off quickly.

Mincing garlic
See, it works!
I continued to prep the garlic and jalapenos.  I left in a few seeds and the ribs of the jalapenos because I like things a bit more on the spicy side!

Garlic and Jalapenos
I continued with the onion and ginger and poured them into the bottom of a pot with hot oil.

Chopped and Ready
In the pot...
After about 4 or 5 minutes of cooking the mixture and stirring occasionally, the onion turned  translucent and the kitchen was smelling great.  This is where the fun stuff was added - the curry powder.

CURRY!
I stirred it in and continued to stir it constantly for another 30 seconds until it was fragrant.  Next I seasoned with some salt and pepper.

Adding the curry
Mixed-In
Once the curry paste was ready to go the meal was straight forward to finish.  I added the sweet potato, chickpeas, coconut milk and water (adding a bit less than the requested cup) into the pan.  I raised the heat up to a medium/high, waited for the contents of the pot to boil, then reduced the heat and allowed it to simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes (until the sweet potatoes were tender).

Waiting for it to boil
After the potatoes were soft, I added the edamame and tomatoes and continued to let it simmer until everything was cooked through.

Almost ready
Once everything was warm and tender, I poured the curry over some jasmine rice and it was ready to go.

Dinner is ready!
This was a delicious dish that had loads of flavor and dimension in each bite.  It was satisfying and filling despite having no meat in there.  The curry was not overwhelming by any means - in fact, I could have even used some more!  The dish had some good spice and heat that was complex - I was happy I left the seeds and ribs there.

This was a great curry dish to warm up with, and it left me with the  confidence to try again!

4 comments:

  1. I love sweet potatoes with curry, and love that you were able to bring back some of the Maldives with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love all the spice in this dish! And sweet potatoes and chickpeas are one of my favorite vegetarian combos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great. I love spicy, filling curry dishes like this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet potatoes and curry are such a tasty combo, and I love the addition of chickpeas!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...